Saturday, April 12, 2014

Tiny Inexpensive Waterjet Freeline Skates

Putz has recently acquired a few ripsticks ripstiks. It's probably safe to say that half of the current putzen have mastered how to ride these things. I left my orbit wheels and freeline skates out in the hallway hoping people might want the extra challenge. But, I soon forgot they were on putz, and they were eventually grunged by JoeG's crew. Lately, I've been wanting to orbit wheel; that's enough incentive to build some. I'll probably end up turning this into an Instructable. It would be pretty easy for makers to laser cut, water jet, or possibly 3D print a pair of freeline skates rather than invest $150 in the manufactured version. I tried making them as small as possible to build some intuition for the strength of the aluminum supports.


Read after the break for a quick build log:


I first purchased the smallest/cheapest yellow wheels I could find on Ebay. I found some perfect 52mm croc yellow wheels and designed the frame around them. 


There really wasn't any other reason for cantilevering the wheels besides making them look "aesthetically pleasing". My main inspiration came from the expensive manufactured freeline skate designs, and the fact that the double supported design didn't look as cool. I was also curious to see how the material would hold up. I tend to over engineer most things. 



 It was relatively simple to CAD up quickly. Thankfully, I still have access to CSAIL's waterjet.


After cutting them out, I drilled and tapped the holes, and assembled them with 6-32 socket cap screws. 



Because the wheels are cantilevered, they aren't perfectly parallel (making riding a bit trickier). After extensive use, the supports have bent a little but not as significantly as I'd imagined. This design was mostly a quick prototype to get some orbit wheels on putz quickly. I'd like to use the MITERS CNC to make a more durable shiny pair. 


7 comments:

  1. SO GOOD

    You can probably make a 3D printable version using ABS. Not necessarily with the same design here, maybe things will need to be wider and thicker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to you, I learned many interesting things. I hope to learn more.
    I congratulate you for these wonderful shares. Keep it up!
    Free Drycleaning pickup service

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear:
    we are interesting in the frame of freeline kates. pls. sent us more information , my email: greenage.vn@gamil.com.
    Yours faithfully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear:
    we are interesting in the frame of freeline kates. pls. sent us more information , my email: greenage.vn@gamil.com.
    Yours faithfully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is wonderful! thank you for share such kind of article. Please record it for us!
    i have a good website about welding safety
    cleaning in brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you possibly provide a download of the CAD model? I could probably make some my self.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you possibly provide a download of the CAD model? I could probably make some my self.

    ReplyDelete