Dorm Room Accessories
Electric Orbit Wheel:
The inspiration for making the electric orbit wheel started with a college tour to Harvey Mudd. Within ten minutes of arriving, I saw two people "skate" by on freeline skates. After that, I had to learn... it just looked incredibly fun! That summer, I taught myself how to ride orbit wheels (Thoughts were brewing for an electric version).
Status: Completed as of February 2, 2013 (Despite the dates on all the build logs; I posted late)
Chassis: Water jetted 6061 1/4" Al with custom ring gear, cast urethane wheel from 3D printed mold, and infinite turning radius
Battery: 4.4Ah at 16.5V with A123 28650 Systems LiFePo4 Battery Cells (1.5 mile/ 2.4 km range)
Motor: Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 4250-350kv Brushless Outrunner
Top Speed: 10 mph (16 km/h)
- Part 0: Picking out Motors and Batteries
- Part 1: CADing: Preparing for Water Jet
- Part 2: Water Jetting!!!
- Part 3: Making the Battery "Packs"
- Part 4: 3D Printed Urethane Mold and Ring Gear
- Part 5: Tightly Packed Electronics and Machined Housing
- Part 6: First All-Nighter at MITERS: Casting the Urethane Wheel
Here you can see the wide urethane rim and batteries.
All the components "required" for operation. (Except for a helmet).
Stay tuned for more video updates!